FUNCTION: The successful candidate will assist the VP in developing and executing Compliance activities and OMH audit plan, and take a lead role in the day-to-day execution of internal audits. We expect the consultant to contribute to the Internal Audit (IA) function by identifying risks associated with agency objectives and evaluating the controls in place to mitigate those risks in order to improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. Monthly departmental audit reviews will be performed on the targeted Developmental Disabilities programs and the consultant will provide value-added advice or modification of policies, procedures, processes, products, or services to ensure an appropriate level of internal control and compliance is maintained.
REPORTS TO: VP
FULL TIME/PART TIME: Full time
• Participate in opening meetings with VP to explain the scope and objectives of the audit engagement to Urban League and provide an overview of all steps in the audit process.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the Developmental Disabilities Business Unit processes specifically compliance needs, generally.
• Document the processes in flowcharts and/or process narratives. Identify and document inherent risks and controls within the business processes.
Review and Reporting
• Review and revise current risk-based test plan by selecting appropriate audit approach.
• Perform audit tests and prepare working papers.
• Evaluate the adequacy of process design and the effectiveness of controls in meeting agency and control objectives. Identify and document control and process weaknesses and provide evidential support for findings.
• Propose practical and value-added recommendations to address control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies.
• Participate in monthly meetings with PPRE Department, providing clear explanations for identified issues.
• Assist in the preparation of a concise and informative monthly audit report to effectively communicate the findings and recommendations to the PPRE Department, Compliance Committee, and Executive Leadership Team.
• Develop and implement ongoing training programs for staff, including auditing tools and protocols for Urban League's designated programs.
Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
• Post-secondary education in Business, Accounting or Finance.
• Minimum of two years experience with Corporate Internal Audit practices.
• Solid understanding of risk and control concepts. Ability to apply these concepts to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of agency processes and controls to mitigate risk.
• Knowledge of OPWDD Risk and Internal Control framework required.
• Well-developed technical skills in Word, Excel, and Visio.
• Expertise in the use of data analysis tools such as ACL, IDEA, or Microsoft Access would be an asset.
• Knowledge and compliance with the Institute of Internal Auditor's Rules of Conduct regarding Integrity, Objectivity, Confidentiality and Competency.
• Maintain confidentiality of all written and verbal communication relating to agency process, staff and participants.
• Must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
Skills and Attributes
• Good interpersonal skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal) with all levels within the organization.
• Ability to stand firm on difficult issues when required.
• Strong analytical capability.
• Capable of working independently and with minimum supervision. Capable of working in a team as well.
• Logical approach to identifying and evaluating issues and problem-solving.
• Well-developed organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
• Displays awareness of the need for confidentially in sensitive matters.
- Residency in Rochester, New York preferred